Epilogue

Monday, May 24, 2010
~*~*~ TWO YEARS LATER ~*~*~

“We’ll probably laugh about this later, but something seems to be wrong with the engines, and I just wanted to tell you that I love you and whatever you wanted to ask me when you see me, the answer is a big ol’ YES!” Jennifer chuckled. “I’m gonna get yelled at by the stewardess if she sees me, so I gotta go. I love you more than my own life, Rich, and I can’t wait to see you. Bye!”

He had long ago memorized every breath, every hitch, every syllable of her message. He listened to it far less frequently than he used to, but he couldn’t go too long without hearing her; her voice now brought him comfort. At first, the words ripped at his heart, and he very nearly purged the message from his voicemail. Then, in a moment of clarity, he had Obie pull it from cyberspace and burn it to disc for him. He had listened to it on an endless loop for days, weeks after the funeral. It took a long time before he could listen to her voice without crying.

Today, the sound brought a smile to his face.

When he heard the toot of a horn, Richie stepped out into the California sunshine. He grinned as his daughter came running up the driveway, and waved as his ex-wife and her husband pulled away. “Daddy! Today’s the day, right?”

“Well, I don’t know...” Richie said, laughing at his daughter’s pout.

“You PROMISED that when I turned thirteen, you’d take me!”

“I’m just kidding, princess. C’mon.”

Richie led his daughter around to the garage. There, tucked in between his BMW and the GMC truck was a beautiful Harley Fatboy: Jennifer’s Harley. When the truck had arrived with all of Jennifer’s things shortly after her funeral, he sent everything back to her parents except the photo of the two of them from the concert back in San Diego, the leather jacket with the replica of his tattoo on the back, and the motorcycle.

Now, he handed his daughter the jacket, and was surprised to see it wasn't as large on her as he thought it would be. He threw his leg over the seat of the bike and ran a hand over the "Hath" that was written in an elegant script across the tank. His wedding ring glinted in the afternoon sun as he traced the name of the woman he still loved. Richie chuckled at the detailing, and whispered, "Let's go have fun, Jen." An answering breeze teased the ends of Richie's now-shoulder-length hair, blowing it off his neck to caress the word STRENGTH tattooed there. Ava donned her helmet and climbed on the bike behind her father, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Lean the way I lean,” Richie said to her. “You’ll be perfectly safe.”

“I know, I know; you told me a zillion times. Let’s just GO already, Daddy!” an impatient Ava insisted.

With a whoop of laughter, Richie kicked the Harley to life. The engine roared, and they took off down the driveway, off to have an adventure.

6 comments:

blushnscarlet said...

I've read both as instructed, and while the original ending breaks my heart and I'm a huge fan of HEA, this was was exceptional. You have an amazing gift and I would like to thank you for sharing it with the world. Just like Coke Classic, the originals are always the best.

It was nice to have an option, but there is no comparison. Thank you...

Anonymous said...

Having read both endings I have to agree that the original was the best. It moved me so much that I was crying like a baby and couldn't answer the phone when it rang! It's taken me a full hour to get over the feeling of loss I got from reading this. I absolutely loved the scenes in the hospital, they were poignant and devastating but also kept the humour that the whole story had. Whilst the new ending was good, it didn't move me as much and was a little 'vanilla' for me. I much preferred the writing in the original and liked that the ending wasn't the typical ending that we normally get.

Vicki

rutpop said...

Ok I haven't read the other ending yet but I have to tell you that I am a blubbering mess over this. I'm not saying that I didn't like it or that it isn't well written, in fact I guess I'm saying just the opposite. For me to have been moved and affected so deeply really says something. I can't even begin to imagine how you were able to pen this with all the sorrow and pain and heartbreaking love.
Ok off to read the other ending, once I recover that is - I will let you know.

Tre said...

Hath, When I first read this when it was originally posted it ripped my heart in two ((and not many sad stories can call tears to my eyes)) This one did.. I never had the chance to read the second ending before, and am now headed that way ... the HEA is my reward for the tears LOL..


I'm quite sure that although I always want Rich to have the HEA... what my vote will be. I'll post it there when done..

But this ending?? Is the ending to beat all endings.. surviving even with great loss? I can as a widow empathise with it.. and THIS ending has always been one of my kleenex faves :)

Wildflower said...

Hath,
I haven't read the HEA one yet, but this one made me bawl my eyes out! Really well written, you captured the mood and emotions perfectly. Absolutely amazing and moving. You are quickly becoming my favourite author! Again, I will let you know which one was my favourite!!

JBJBounce said...

Okay, I finally read this one. Three tissues later and a head stopped up to hell for having cried so hard, my vote is in. The writing in this version far exceeds that in the HEA. HEA's are great when they are appropriate, but this ending was spectacularly written. From the emotional, deeply felt description to the heart-wrenching pain, I felt each and every moment.

Your description of Richie as a widower was right on target too. As a widow, I know that pain far to well and you hit it right on. Exceptional writing, even with the devastating ending. Well, except that Harley ride adventure at the very end. Nothing like a HD to help blow away the pain.

Thank you for writing such a beautiful story.

(c) 2008 by TheGoddessHathor